Saturday, June 29, 2013

Siargao: Surfing in Jack Horse, Cloud 9

And when I tell you to go, you gotta go. You gotta paddle your little heart out. You can't hesitate, you can't pull back, you can't hold back. No fear. Because if you do, you'll gonna eat sh*t
~Blue crush

I was really hesitant and excited about surfing here in Siargao. Well because Siargao is a reef break , that when you fell out of your board, there's a huge chance you may land on one of those reefs. Hurts! But I still went coz I'd look like a loser if I dont. haha.

Instructions were vague. I get to compare coz I already surfed in Baler. That was my first time and it was pleasant. I was surprised that Marga and I will be having the same instructor. Two is to one? That doesn't sound good. But we still went ahead.

We see a lot of people surfing. That afternoon, we were to surf in what locals call Jack Horse. In cloud 9, the waves were huge for beginners. 
So, we paddle on our short boards, yes you read right, short boards instead of the long boards we were used to.  And so I got my first wave. Without warning, Kuya just pushed my board and shouted shortly "Tayo!", "Tayo"! After which, expectedly, I wasnt able to stand up. I get frightened whenever I see the reef underneath my board, so i just couched. hehe. duwag lang. haha. 
I don't know. It was a bit unpleasant. Unpleasant, because I'm comparing to the surfer instructors in Baler, which were so good to me. It was like a friend teaching a friend. Me konting biruan pero they'd encourage you whenever you fall..But in Siargao, my instructor's mad whenever I wasn't able to stand in my board. MAD. as in he'd shout at you and make you feel an idiot. nakakawalan ng gana. Well, I don't know. I don't want to generalize all the surfing instructors in Siargao but mine was not cool. As for the rest of my friends, except Marga, theirs were good. 

Baler pa rin :) But still, surfing in Siargao IS bragging rights! Hell yeah! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...