Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Art of Packing


To those who have travelled with me, you might have noticed I travel light. So light I can fit all the things I need in one backpack. This includes clothes, netbook, camera, toiletries, etc. the basic. This how I do it..

1. Roll don't fold
It’s the number one rule when travelling. Roll your clothes. Don't fold. Folding takes a lot of space in your backpack and rolling them saves a lot.


2. Bring personal items in small quantities
I have all my toiletries in one small pouch. Don't bring the family size toothpaste, shampoo. etc. Instead, buy a 50-100ml (the smaller the better) container and fill those with your shampoo, lotion, facial wash, etc. Buy the foldable toothbrush. Invest in that quick dry pocket towel, which I recently acquired, thanks to Franz, as a Christmas present. Aquazorb towels are also good; they're half the size (when folded) of the normal towels. Netbook instead of a laptop. Point and shoot camera instead of an SLR. Think small. 

Regular sized towel, Aquazorb and Sea to summit



Smaller than the palm of your hand

3. More than what’s intended for
Buy clothes that you can wear in two or more ways. I buy the top-to-toe wash (yes, for kids!) which can be used as soap and shampoo as well. Moisturizers can doubles as a lotion. Bring things that can be use more than what it is intended for. More like Swiss knives. 


4. Organize your things
Pack your things in separate compartments, be it in a ziplock or any compartment. I prefer ziplocks so I wouldn’t worry about my things getting wet. With our crazy weather, you can never guess when it’s going to rain. Separate your clean clothes from your dirty ones. Put all your gadgets in one compartment. Sort. Packing your things this way makes unpacking easy. You don’t have to go through all your stuffs if you just need a new shirt or the sunblock.

Yes, I can fit all my things in my regular sized Jansport bag :)

5. Prioritize
If you're to choose between pants, shorts or skirt, choose one. You don’t have to bring all your clothes. You're not gonna wear all of them anyway. The goal is to pack light. Bring what you need, not what you want. 
I stuff all my things in one backpack. And if I find I can't fit everything, I prioritize. Do I really need the extra clothes? Do I have to bring my netbook? Do I need all these stuffs? 

They say, whatever is in your backpack says a lot of who you are as a traveler as well as a person. 
So the next time you pack, ask yourself, can I carry it on my back?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    whatever is in your backpack says a lot of who you are as a traveler as well as a person--so i guess with all the the lotion you stuck in your backpack...hmmmmm..well moisturized!!!! you can now squeeze in more with the new bag...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks to you! haha. napancn mo b?sunblock lotion.one for face.one sa katawan.regular lotion.off lotion.un iba jan.mga leftovers n lng of my past travels..hehe.ako n ang well moisturized.hehe

      Delete
  2. Super thanks! This art of packing helped alot. I'm having problems evertime I go out of town trips because of my heavy baggage. I always bring 2-3 extra sets of clothes everytime i travel. And i bring things that are not really important. Being dora and u as my peg, now i learned about investing on stuff that i will use in my future trips. More power to your blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow..thanks ian! glad i helped..hehe. un nman tlga no.rule when packing.bring only the important things..what you need not what you want..which, i think, can also apply on how we live our lives..

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...