Sunday, April 24, 2011

ILOCOS 02: Sarrat, Batac, Paoay and a traffic mishap

Today, I started my day with a tapa breakfast. Complimentary breakfast. Nothing extraordinary.


Balay da Blas complimentary breakfast


I began pestering Ate Nina questions of how to go to Sarrat, Batac and Paoay.

Past nine in the morning, I left. I decided to go see Sarrat first.

Sarrat used to be the capital of Ilocos Sur. Sta Monica Church, where Imee Marcos had her wedding, is found here. Fronting the church is a river where you see locals taking a dip.

Tell the trike driver in Laoag to take you to Sarrat Terminal. Fare is php15. Travel time is roughly 15-20 minutes.


Sarrat Church



inside the church

Ibang direction kasi yung Sarrat if you see a map. So, you have to go back to Laoag to ride another jeep to get to Paoay.

By this time, numerous people have been talking to me in Ilokano, calling me ading. haha. Buti nakakaintindi ako ng konti. I'm a bit uncomfortable when people start to hear me speak in Tagalog, like I was talking in English.

So, back in Laoag. Tell the trike driver to drop you at Paoay Terminal. You'll see the jeep sign Laoag-Batac-Paoay. Fare is Php35. Travel time is around 40-45 minutes. Don't worry if you find yourself alone when you decide to go to Paoay first before Batac. Mauuna talaga kasi yung Batac at halos dun bumababa yung mga tao. Sabi kasi ni Ate Nina unahin ko Paoay. Dapat Batac pala.

So, I finally saw Paoay church.





Then, I had lunch at a nearby burger stand. Buy one Take one. Pati lasa buy one take one. No choice, kelangan magtipid. solotrip eh.

I asked ate if she knows someone who can bring me to Malacanang of the North. The agreed price was Php250. From Paoay, he'll bring me to Malacanang North and back, then to Batac. Medyo mahal daw according to Mam Kite. Pero sabi naman ng locals, magisa lang daw kasi ako. Eh ano naman di ba. Pag madami ba mas mura? I agreed nonetheless. Ayoko na makipagtalo.

Wrong move pala. Sana hindi ako pumayag para hindi siya naging driver. Pagtiyagain niyo pang basahin para malaman niyo bakit.

Approximately 20 minutes, we arrived at Malacanang North. Entrance was Php30. I was lucky to have a private tour. Kuya saw me loitering around the palace alone. Konti pa lang kasi turista kaya nagvolunteer. Sosyal, nakashades kahit asa silong kami. Midway his tour, came in the tourists. Kay iingay.

Panalo ang Malacanang. I was reminded of the Vimanmek Mansion in Bangkok, Thailand. Sabi ni kuya irerenovate daw.




This I found funny. I asked the tour guide what it meant.
He said that it was a gift to Bong Bong Marcos.
People saw him this way. He was fond of riding at the dunes.
And people saw him as prince..


Mrs. Marcos' room. Their bedrooms are separated.
I asked why, the tourist guide didn't know.
Tsismis. hehe


Her ensuite bathroom


Imee and Aimee's room.
I asked if the bedcovers were the original ones, kuya said they were.
I doubt it.




Malacanang of the North facing the Paoay Lake


At. Hindi halatang maka Marcos si Kuya. Abay, nung namamangha ako sa mga kasangkapang nakadisplay, ipinagtanggol ba naman. Kesyo regalo daw lahat. Pati daw sapatos ni Madam. O siya, sige asa baluarte naman nila ako kaya agree na lang ako. Agree din naman ako kay kuya pero hindi sa lahat. Maganda din kaya nung naging presidente si Marcos. Halos lahat ng pinagawa niya noon, gamit pa natin hanggang ngayon. CCP, FAT, San Juanico Bridge to name a few. Sa martial law lang talaga.. (di ba Liza?)






So, we were nearing Batac when suddenly..

Bog!

Ayun, nauntog ako sa windshield ng trike. Intersection, red light, nung nag green light, yung trike sa harap namin biglang huminto. Ayun, dumikit yung trike namin na asa harap. Pati noo ko naiinggit, dumikit naman sa windshield. Maya maya, ramdam ko me sarili ng heartbeat ang malapad kong noo at major major nahilo ako. Haayyy. Siyempre agaw atensyon ako. Sa intersection kaya nangyari yun. At turista ako! Hindi lang halata. Pag nagtagalog na ako. Lahat nakiki ading at sinasabihan akong magpacheck up. Sabi ko okay lang ako, give me a few minutes. Abay makulit. So go, pinagbigyan ko sila.

Pagkatapos ng napakahabang pagantay sa ER, clinear na din ako ng consultant surgery matapos niyang usisain ang buhay at hulaan na paracetamol ang irereseta saken. hehe. joke. Pati yung nurse at consultant na ibang pasyente kausap, naki usi. Pero in fairness naman, asikaso ako ni doc matapos niyang malaman na taga TMC ako. hehe. Pinagalitan niya pa si Kuyang driver.

Hulaan niyo how much ER fee ko?

PHP50.

Yes. Singkwenta pesos. Hindi ko na pinabayad kay kuya. Josko. Nakakahiya. Pero, in fairness naman nag insist si kuyang-me-kasalanan. Nahihiya pa nga, hindi ako kinakausap. Sabi ko ilibre na lang nila yung sunod nilang maging pasahero. Pay it forward ba. cheesy.


The Php 50 I paid. Hindi uso resibo. Ticket money tawag nila.


Me record nako

Niresetang paracetamol


Dahil sa insidenteng yan, hindi ko na natikman ang famous Batac Empanada. Hindi narin ako nakapagsightseeing sa aking lugar. Opo. Last name ko ay Batac.

It was a bit uncomfortable to see my last name in every trike in the city and few of the establishments. Batac Drugstore, Batac Retailers, etc. Parang feeling ko pagmamayari ko lahat. hehe.

Sabi ko pa naman, dito ako magtatagal kasi baka me history nga kami dito. Nagtagal nga ako, sa ER naman. Next time...

Before Kuya dropped me to the terminal, we passed by Marcos museum, where the late president's remains lies. Creepy...

No cameras were allowed. Nearby were a gallery of the Marcos' photos.



young Imelda


Who would have thought this kid would declare the Martial Law?
I can't imagine the late President as a kid


I rode a minibus back to Laoag. Fare is Php20. Travel time is roughly 20-30 minutes.

Back in Laoag, I was still contemplating whether to go see the Sand dunes. But I will be missing the mass if I decided to go. So, I decided to just see it in the morning before heading to Pagudpud. Wrong move again.

The mass was in Ilocano. Haayy...

Tinapos ko nadin. Ganun talaga. Pagod na din ako. Nag jolibee nalang ako for my dinner. Para mura.



I was so overwhelmed by what I saw and experienced today. Blending in with the locals was an experience. Observing their traits which I personally find humbling. Theirs were nothing compare to what I have been seeing at the city. Iba talaga pag probinsya. Sabi nga nila..

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:54 AM

    idol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:16 PM

    diba liza? special mention...well, totoo naman I'm an Aquino's fan not just Kris Aquino but hands off ako sa mga nagawa ni Marcos

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is very informative and helpful sa mga tulad ko na nagpaplano ng Ilocos Tour. Very humorous din, nakakatuwa basahin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I love the historic things. So beautiful! Sakit.info

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...