Sunday, May 01, 2011

Sagada '10: Surviving Sagada

Day 01
Okay so here’s the scenario. I got off from a 16 hour duty. It was not an ordinary 16hour duty because ER was like a warzone that afternoon. I took the 11:55pm bus to Baguio and after approximately 16 hours of travel from Manila only did I arrived in Sagada. Wala pa ring tulog at puro na lang gising. Haay..
By lunchtime, we were in Sagada. We registered ourselves first at the municipal hall.

Registration first.

Malas naman.

After eating, nagpalit lang at larga na. Guess what the activity was. Trekking. Not just an ordinary trekking because we hiked two mountains! The road was steep and long. Very long. Kuya Randy, our tour guide, approximated our hike about 10 kilometers! Wooh.
So, 16 hour duty + 16 hour travel + almost 8 hours hike = 40 hours awake! And I’m still alive!! Haha

The first stop on out hike was Mt. Ampacao. Let the pictures speak for it.



Taking a break.

The part of hiking I like the most is when you’re too tired to speak and all you can hear is your heartbeat pounding and when you stop to catch your breath, the view around you is just amazing and you just can’t wait what the peak of the mountain looks.
Along the way, we saw giant ferns, wild berries, wild cows and more trails. I was curious to see what the field of wild berries look like in September/October. Just imagine crossing that.





We were supposed to wait for the sunset at Lake Danum but we decided to finish the hike because we were too tired and badly needed a shower. When I tried to lie down, I suddenly felt my sleeplessness of 40 freaking hours! So to not encourage the feeling, we ended the trek. Tapusin na ang kahibangan na to.




Lake Danum



We passed the Sagada Pottery along the way and took a quick tour. Ate was more than willing to show us around even though they’re closed already. It was amazing to learn that every single thing in place took less than a year to finish.  They were just four of them who run the place and they never thought of mass producing.





So, finally we arrived at our inn. Not minding the thickness of dirt stuck in our toes and all over us, we had our dinner. Tsaka palang kami naligo. I tell you, when I washed my feet, I thought the water was brown. I can’t believe the layer of dirt in my feet!

To cap up our first night, we headed down to Yoghurt House for their famous yogurt. Wirika is not fond of yogurt so she had tea. Medyo maasim, but it’s good. It was so thick. Granola for me!



Yoghurt House

Mejo uminom lang on the first night because call time the next day was early. Two shots the most just to warm ourselves. But Joc wasn’t able to sleep so he did what he does best. Piss off Leah. Hehe

Day 02
6am was the supposed call time and surely enough we woke up late. We were supposed to watch the parade because it was fiesta  in Sagada that day. But we decided to do the cave connection early. Kuya Randy said we were supposed to finish by two in the afternoon.  And so, we started our cave connection at the entrance of Lumiang Burial Cave. And I tell you, we were not prepared for the cave. Not really. Not an inch.
I executed positions I never thought I could. I was able to fit in places I never thought I could. My adrenaline was on its peak every single hole I try to squeeze in, every descent I tried to do and every bangin I tried to cross. I was gripping every rock I could hold on. How I wish I have suction on hands and feet so I wouldn’t worry on falling. The whole time I was thinking, I should really have said my proper goodbyes.


Entrance to Lumiang Burial Cave

Lunch inside the cave.




After almost six grueling hours of spelunking, we finally saw the end of the cave. Finally, there was light. You have no idea how grateful we were when we finally had sat near the Sumaguing cave’s opening. Relief. Indeed, it was a relief. Well, the story is different for wirika. She went out first, sans Kuya Randy’s gas lamp and was only relying on his instruction “Diretso lang..” without any fear of the possibility that she might step on a cliff. Nothing is more powerful than the call of nature. Walang sinabi Gatorade.

Follow the light.

Sumaguing Exit

We walked back home. I tell you that was our mode of transportation. Walking. Other groups came in vans, jeeps but Kuya Randy made us walked! Ha. Great! So, we headed home to change for cleaner clothes because we all look like we collected all the dirt from the two caves. I changed my shorts because it got ripped. I don’t know where it happened. Good thing we were near the end when someone noticed. I borrowed Leah’s shorts. I still can’t believe it suits me.
So off we go to the last stop for the day since Big Falls was closed, we resorted for the Small Falls. On the way, we crossed rice fields and did a bit of river crossing. At one point, we have to dip our foot in a one foot of mud. Even though it will not be as beautiful as the Big Falls, Small falls was breathtaking as well. After all, it’s a falls.



Born again cabbage.



Small Falls

We stayed for while.
We saw a jet line, which I later asked my friends at work who were at Mt.Pulag at the time if they saw it too. And they did. It was like; we were really just under the same sky.
It was our last night. And all were exhausted. We had dinner at Yoghurt House. Had a few beers with Kuya Randy but later bailed on us when we decided to continue the drinking session at our place. I guess he really follows the curfew.
After some booze, we all slept. Leah was even dreaming that she was crossing cliffs inside the caves. After almost one whole day of adventure, maybe, it was really hard to take it all in.
It was our last night in Sagada.
And our last morning. 
Morning view from George Guest House

I was already feeling the homesickness on our bus ride back to Baguio. I can’t believe it was all over.  So I decided to sit next to the window.
I read somewhere that Sagada is the perfect place to propose. So when she says no, she still has the almost 13 hours ride back to Manila to think it over.
But for me, it was perfect place to think.  Sit anywhere, appreciate the scene and watch one whole day pass you by without worrying.
Coming back from sagada, I may not have found the answers to my life’s endless questions, but I have a clearer understanding of it. i get out of this place a better person, more whole than ever before.
future might not be fixed for me.but i trust Him and myself that whatever happens,i will be just fine.no matter what.
so i will be back to my job, to my three year old routine life with better eyes and better mind.
I hope so.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...